Here at Barrier Waterproofing Systems, we educate folks with foundation damage questions that it can not only impact the structure but also greatly reduce the value of the home. Sometimes this impact is as great as 15% or more! With that being said, it’s valuable to know how foundation problems arise and key factors to look for in early detection.
So, what are the main variables that cause foundation damage?
Number one: The movement, shifting, and settling of the soil underneath your home is a prime suspect in foundation damage. Some areas in the United States contain soil that expands when moist, and more so than others. This can result in the foundation of the home being moved or shifted. Cracks can be the cause, which results in humidity and moisture entering into the home and the foundation itself being compromised.
Number two: Water leaks under the slab can cause the slab to deteriorate. Allow us to explain; slab foundations keep water pipes and sewer lines contained. Moist areas in the interior floors and an increase in water bill can cue homeowners to a problem. Most often, however, the slab leak usually goes unnoticed until it is too late.
Number three: Improper drainage can result in pooling water forming a little swamp near the home’s foundation. Damp, leaky basements are also an indicator of improper drainage. This can also occur because of damaged gutters or improper grading of the land surrounding the home.
Number four: The roots of large trees close by have the potential to cause foundation problems. As the intruding roots grow through the soil underneath the home, they can put pressure on water pipes and basement walls under the slab. Additionally, they can cause soil to contract away from the home due to moisture leeching.
If you are curious as to whether your home has foundation problems or not, see if you can spot one of the common identifiers listed below on your property:
- Moisture is the big culprit for causing numerous problems so check your basement and crawlspace periodically. Some big indicators are mold, sagging, musty smells, cracks, and uneven floors.
- Bugs are going to be drawn to moist places, so keep your eyes peeled!
- Not only are sagging, warped floors a nuisance, but there could be more to the cause than what meets the eye, along with bowing walls.
- Crooked doors might develop, or a cracked chimney, if you have one. Your chimney might start to tilt and can be fixed with piling to add reinforcement.
- Last but not least, have you found stale water under the bridge, oops, we mean water under your HOUSE!
Hopefully this answers your foundation damage questions about what could be causing it, or how to detect if you have foundation damage. If you need help fixing your foundation, and are located in the Middle Tennessee area, give Barrier Waterproofing Systems a call today at (615) 257-1060 | (931) 536-1168.